Sitting up late, searching verses about marriage from my phone, I was scrolling through the google searches, and I clicked on a “The Knot” blog that had 33 different references from the Bible that talks about marriage. It just included a variety of verses with all different contexts. Scrolling through I saw the reference to Ephesians 5 where Paul, in prison, writes to the Christians in Ephesus. Reading the intro in my She Reads Truth Bible it says that in his letter he keeps the theme of unity of the Church in Christ. I am just going to quote it, because I can’t say it any clearer. “The overall theme of Ephesians is the unity of the Church in Christ, through the power of the Spirit.” (Through the POWER of the Spirit!!) This was directed towards the Jews AND the Gentiles being one in Christ.
This blog post is focusing mainly on Ephesians 5 and how we can use all that Paul says to do as a wife or husband. The scripture has a lot of “do nots”, but today lets focus on what we CAN do. Grab your Bible, and you can follow along as I list it out for us.
- Be imitators of God
- Walk in love
- Give thanks
- Know & recognize this: Every sexually immoral or impure or greedy person, who is an idolater, does not have an inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and of God.
- Let no one decieve you with empty arguments.
- Live as children of light
- Expose fruitless works of darkness
- Pay careful attention to how you live (as wise)
- Make the most of your time
- Understand what the Lord’s will is
- Be filled by the spirit
- Speak to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making music with your heart to the Lord.
- Giving thanks always for everything to God the Father in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ
- Submitting to one another in the fear of Christ
- (Wives) submit to your husbands
- (Husbands) love your wives like Christ loves the Church
- (Husbands) love his wife as himself, and the wife is to respect her husband.
I’m a teacher, so I am giving you homework. Take this list from Paul and add in what you do, what you are working on doing, and what you know you need to do but haven’t yet.
For me, I am fully aware of who has not taken hold of the commitment of marriage and taken it as seriously as God created it to be. (#4). Hence I am pleading for people to join me in learning more about what a Godly marriage is. I am pleading for people to join in the #Godlymarriagemovemement. I am currently working towards being filled with the Spirit (#11) and understanding what the Lord’s will is for us in our marriage. (#10). And I am not there yet, but I know that I need to educated myself more in the Word in order to do #5. Let’s be honest. The world’s opinion of love and marriage is so loud right now, that it has become so easy to stay silent in order not to “hurt the feelings” of you co-worker, friend, or even family member. More about that coming soon…
If you would like to join the community of married couples wanting to learn more about what Godly marriages look like or have resources that I might enjoy digging into, comment, message me, and join.
Wife. Teacher. Learner.
Photography by Jud Davis